July 5, 2009

Independence Day-The Day After




Yesterday we celebrated an important holiday in this country. The 4th of July has great meaning for those of us who live here. It is one of our most patriotic symbols of independence. We celebrate this day because of independent, free thinking people.

This should be a special day for writers. We too are independent, free thinkers. If there wasn’t something in us that fights to go a different way, follow an inner voice or ignore the nay-sayers around us we wouldn’t be writers.

Writing is touted as an individual craft. The lone writer toils each day to dig deep inside themselves to bring to the page the words that will tell the story they must write. But we are genetically social creatures. We need support in our lives and even more so as writers. We crave the acknowledgement that comes from sharing our hard work with those who have the same drive to produce magic with the written word.


On the 4th we gather together with family and friends to enjoy and share our lives. Being a member of a writing group should have the same purpose. I have become good friends with the wonderful ladies in my group and they will forever be a part of my life.
If you are a lone writer reach out to other writers and find your own group.
And to my circle of writers; have a great 4th and I will see you again, same place, same time.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I totally agree, there's nothing like a good writers' group to help you along the way and to give you support. People who are not writers really don't understand those of us who are.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

 
At July 5, 2009 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Dorinda Ohnstad said...

Don't know where I would be without my writer's group. The two great things about the group are: 1)the social comraderie; they are true friends that I have no doubt wish to see me succeed, and 2) they spare nothing in giving honest feedback intended to make my writing stronger.

 
At July 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Sunny Frazier said...

There's no place I'd rather be on a Friday night than sitting around with the four of you. Pass the Mike's Hard Lemonade, the mixed nuts, the cookies, the comments and critiques. We'll get to the next chapter together.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home