March 15, 2009

Approaching the Different




At our little Friday Night Soiree, I brought a new species of writing to the table. Taking my seat in front of a plate of decadent brownies, I awaited the critiquing of my new contest offering. It was a Narrative.
There was no protagonist, no antagonist. There was definitely no seductive man riding in on a large stallion, there was just a remembrance of a small girl about the shooting of JFK.
For this contest I am writing about what the experience of JFK's assassination was like for myself from the perspective of being seven and in class when our teacher made the announcement.
Most of us at the table never critiqued narratives. It was a challenge. They peered at it like it were some sort of odd vegetable one's mother might place on your plate. "Try it, you'll like it." I admit being a little uncomfortable. Might this paper I brought, lull my beloved co-writers into a dangerous dimension? Would they be eaten before my eyes?
Well, writers are a brave lot. (After all, we create whole worlds) They each did a wonderful job, and helped guide me (like they do every time) toward making my piece its best. The reason is that no matter what style of writing one uses, there are rules that always apply. Not too many this, that's, hads, and the other, show, (even a narrative needs draw a picture) make each word count, and the rest clip like bad hair.
Our evening ended much like it always does. Each of us left better writers, and each of us had work to do..and the tools to do it well.

4 Comments:

At March 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Jacqueline Larson said...

I appologize for the poor formatting. But it published that way and no amount of editing would change it.

 
At March 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Dorinda Ohnstad said...

Jackie:

You're so right. Every kind of writing has unique challenges, when faced help us grow as writers. We shouldn't shy away from those challenges, but face them head on.

Thanks for challenging us all.

 
At March 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Sarah Simas said...

I thought your narrative was very interesting, being that I was little more than a glimmer in someone's eye back then! The piece read like a story with in a story.

Way to go, Jackie!

 
At March 20, 2009 at 8:59 AM , Blogger June Rodriguez said...

I love your perspective on the writer, and our dubious take on writing that is outside our box. Just like any artistic endeavor you must explore new methods and styles to stay fresh. Thanks for getting us to expand our fields.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home