February 16, 2009

Brave New World

I recently took new steps in my writing life and career. As a member in a small critique group that only meet twice a month I was frustrated with my progress. For a while I felt I was on the verge of giving up. I couldn't see the future of my written words. Some writers are loners and work well in that atmosphere but I am a social writer and need the feedback of the group.

Over the past several months I have reached out for new connections with my fellow writers. I joined a new group that has the potential for growth and has a more focused and far reaching writer base. The new group has stirred my inner fires and given me new, contemporary avenues for my writing. I have learned more in these months then in all the years past.

In some fashion I feel guilty for spending time away from my first group, almost like I’m cheating. But I feel that what I am doing now will benefit myself and other writers I will work with. So it can only be a win-win situation. For me, my world is wide open and the only stops are the ones I put on myself.


Being a writer is a constantly changing occupation. What have you done lately to change or improve your writing?

5 Comments:

At February 16, 2009 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Sunny Frazier said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 16, 2009 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Sunny Frazier said...

Sounds like you were in a "starter" group and have graduated to a higher level, more focused group. Guilt should not be a factor. Think of it as a growth process. We all need to grow or our writing grows stale--or doesn't grow at all!

 
At February 16, 2009 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Dorinda Ohnstad said...

June:

I have also branched out and have more than one writer's group that I participate in. Each of these groups provides something the others do not, while each provides me with the social interaction with others that have a similar passion, which inspires and encourages me to continue to write.

While I have been participating in a couple of writer's groups I still have sought out writing classes, websites, conferenes and other venues to continue to hone my craft. Because, ultimately craft is key to my success as a writer. Count yourself lucky if you have found a group that helps you do that in a focused and productive fashion; I know I do.

 
At February 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I've been in the same group since 1981--however, except to me and the one who started the group, members have changed over the years.

I think of the group has my first edit. I think that's one of the reasons I write books far ahead since reading one chapter a week doesn't get us though a book fast enough for someone like me who is doing two series a year.

Marilyn

 
At March 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Jacqueline Larson said...

Since I have stretched out into other groups, my writing has become much more fervent. I thank my first group for strengthening my wings to fly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home