November 2, 2008

At the Top of the Hill, Looking Way, Way, Down.

Beautiful image, right? This is the north side of the Grand Canyon. I loved standing on the mountain rocks. I made my husband, Rick, a tad nervous though, because I am not in possession of a world class equilibrium. But I loved it. "Look Ma, I'm at the top of the world!" It gave me a wonderful sense of freedom. Looking across the vastness of mountain and sky, anything seemed possible.

Right now, I am on top of another canyon. It is vast and full of possibility. It is a literary formation still evolving; but it has grown into significance. Now I stand overlooking the geography of a story of my own creation. What a wonderful sight. "Look Ma, I'm at the top of my story!" Mommmyyyyy! help, its too high, I'm going to fall! Wail, wa wa..!
This is how it feels to take oneself way too seriously. I am up here feeling like "shit, what do I do now. This is so important. From here on out, my story is playing itself out to a conclusion. This is real man. It counts. I have a terrible responsibility to my characters, to my plot, to my readers" (wait, what readers?)
Well, this is the cool part. KC Writers reads my stuff and in return they give invaluable advice. One extremely important piece of advice came to me from Sunny Frazier. It was not directed to me but I caught the breeze from it wisdom. Basically, it was this. Just write the damn thing. The worry about it being perfect will paralyze you, and destroy all possibility of success. And she is right. Writing poorly is the least of my worries. If I write poorly, I can cure it. It's called a rewrite. Duh, not hard.
I have been staring over the abyss of my story canyon, instead of looking across at the enfolding of something marvelous. "Look Ma, I can fly!"

3 Comments:

At November 3, 2008 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

No wonder your husband was nervous. You obviously never read the book about all the people who've died at the Grand Canyon. My daughter bought it while she was there and after perusing it, I came to the conclusion most of the people died because they didn't respect how dangerous it is--probably because it's so beautiful.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

 
At November 5, 2008 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Dorinda Ohnstad said...

Keep on soaring Jackie!

 
At November 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM , Blogger June Rodriguez said...

What a photo Jackie. It gave me goose bumps just seeing you there at the edge. Now all you have to do is jump and trust that we will catch you. It's not an easy thing to do but think of the thrill at THE END.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home